**For all dog owners**


 In case you did not know, Raisins are very toxic to dogs. 

Subject: Important Information for Dog Owners I received this from

a friend. They checked it on Urban Legends link and it is true. I decided to

make a page out of it to help give dog owners some info for our pets!



This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity 

ever seen at Med-Vet. My patient was a 56 pound, 5 year

old male neutered lab mix who ate half a box of raisins

sometime between 7:30 AM and 4 :30 PM on Tuesday.

He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about

1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency

service until 7 AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins

AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't seen

any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the

dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER

service at Med-Vet, and the doctor there was like me,

had heard something about it, but..Anyway, we contacted

the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and

they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and

watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's

BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32

(normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high

end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in

the bloodstream. We placed an I V catheter and

started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM

and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no

urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt

the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to

Med-Vet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output

overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting

again overnight at Med-Vet and his renal values

have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when

given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting

medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.

Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN

was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus

was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been

staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued

to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize. This is a

very sad case--great dog, great owners who had no idea

raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you

know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins could be toxic.

Many people I know give their dogs grapes or

raisins as treats. Any exposure should

give rise to immediate concern.
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio